Dark's Code Dump

Possibly useful

Auto forwarding junk/spam from Outlook/Hotmail

For quite some time I have been forwarding all email from my outlook.com address to my primary email address, which I self-host. This is done via the standard forwarding option in the outlook.com settings.

However, I have found the outlook.com spam filter to be frankly woeful - both false negatives (fine for forwarding), but worryingly many false positives. These false positives end up disappearing after 10 days and are never forwarded!

Read on for the solution...

Single vs Flex vs Dual Channel RAM

After a stick of RAM failed in my laptop, this is the information I wanted to find but couldn't. I replaced it with a smaller stick, putting the system into Intel's 'Flex' memory mode. Performance in things such as video encoding and gaming were unaffected, but the entire system developed a strange lag, e.g:

  • Firefox dropped frames like crazy, scrolling reduced to 30-40 fps where it had previously been solid 60
  • Explorer lagged while scrolling folders
  • Various animations throughout Windows dropped frames

Even more oddly, this lag was intermittent/random - it would be consistent while scrolling, then I could swap to another app and do something else, then I could come back and it would be perfect - and vice-versa.

I swapped the other stick to form a matching pair, and the lag completely vanished. It seems that proper dual channel is essential for laptops with high DPI displays.

8mm film telecine: a software approach

There are many posts online singing the praises of 8mm telecine by scanning individual frames with a macro lens or scanner. And rightfully so - in the average case it produces better results than the alternative of realtime recording of a video projected on to a wall, projected within a film transfer box, or 'directly' using a special lens configuration.

Read on for my outside-the-box approach using software alone...

Optimised smb.conf for Windows clients

These Samba config options have been performing fantastically well for me. It took quite a bit of research to finalise the config you see below, so figured it was worth sharing.

Read on for more...

Debian 10 kernel slab memory leak

I've faced a situation on one of my VPSes where kernel slab memory spontaneously started leaking:

Read on for the solution...

Unexplained heavy writes from MySQL killing SSD

I have recently been dealing with an upgrade from Debian 9 to 10 increasing MariaDB write load to ~20MB/s (from <0.5MB/s) on a near idle server.


Fix error 0x80070003 when updating Windows 10 1809 to 1903

Errors you may see:

  • Operation failed: Mount WIM file[...]
  • Error 0x80070003
  • 'Windows 10 failed to install.'
Read on for solution...

Debian Buster upgrade boot failure (LVM + BTRFS)

Upgraded one of my servers to Buster and was faced with an unbootable box, unable to find the rootfs (and 'open_ctree failed'). On the server in question I am running a filesystem of BTRFS RAID 1 across two independent LVM disks.

Read on for solution...

Fix for League of Legends patch error code 004

Patching failed and we're not sure why. Please restart the client to try patching again. (Error code 004)

If you have moved your League installation to another disk and used a symlink from the previous location to the new one, as of roughly patch 9.10, this no longer works.

Simply update your shortcuts to point directly to the new location, including the working directory, and all will be well.

GitHub does not respect GDPR in a reasonable way