The following method allows you to use a USB flash drive for 'Live Playback' aka pausing/rewinding live TV on an LG TV. Normally only USB hard drives or USB SSDs are supported.
The error I encountered when trying to pause TV with a USB flash drive connected was:
This storage device cannot be used for Live Playback.
EDIT 28/11/2021: My flash drive died (it was already fucked before this process). Replaced with a 32GB SLC 'industrial' 1.8" SATA SSD and USB to 1.8" SATA cable for about $20 total. Will last much longer than a normal SSD or flash drive.
Note this method will only work on a flash drive with a Phison controller. For me this was a USB 3.0 Kingston DataTraveler G4 32GB drive.
At worst this will kill the flash drive. At best it will not be usable as a normal flash drive. All data on the drive will be lost by following these steps.
Also note that LG don't block USB flash drives for nothing - if it lasts 12 months consider that a good result!
- Setup Windows on a throwaway PC and do not connect to the internet - dodgy utilities ahead! I failed to get them to work in a virtual machine, YMMV.
- Download and run ChipGenius, noting the controller detected. https://www.usbdev.ru/files/chipgenius
- Download and run MPALL https://www.usbdev.ru/files/phison/mpall/. I had good results with v3.63.0C-DL17, but get a version that matches your drive controller, and as suggested on the page don't assume newer=better, instead try to match the release date with the purchase date.
- Click Update, note drive appears
- Click Settings, then OK
- Select the controller you noted from ChipGenius
- Change Partition 1 to 'Fixed Disk'
- Untick 'Auto Detect' under 'Customise Setting'
- Enter VID
6545. (Try skipping this and the previous step, and let me know in the comments if it still works - having performed this step MPALL will no longer recognise the drive, so I can't test if this is necessary or not.)
- You can also enter an entertaining 'Manufacture Name' and 'Product Name'
- Click Save
- Close the settings window via the X
- Click start and wait a minute
- When finished, physically reconnect the flash drive, and note that it hopefully appears as a hard disk in windows (different icon). If so, you are ready to use it with your TV - it should just work(tm).
Leave a Reply