Home > Linux, Raspberry Pi > DarkELEC Release 3

DarkELEC Release 3

November 2nd, 2012

Just an interim release for now as I don’t have my proper dev environment (TV, Pi-compatible internet connection, etc.). Once I figure out a way of getting networking to my Pi, I’ll throw in the promised features such as USB audio support.

No idea at all if this works (I can’t do much more than play about in the menu with no networking), but it certainly seems a lot smoother and more responsive than r2.

There’s been no significant changes on my part, but likely a very significant amount from upstream (namely the extra codecs, 512mb support, etc.).

Download: http://shit.weeaboo.com/darkelec3.zip
Sauce: https://github.com/darkimmortal/DarkELEC
More details: http://darkimmortal.com/2012/05/darkelec-raspberry-pi-optimised-openelec-fork/

1. sathunter
    November 4th, 2012 at 19:36 | #1

Fantastic. I can now access my Linux receiver, iPlayer, ITV Player etc with a PI and it all works perfectly. Thanks for your hard work.

2. November 5th, 2012 at 02:40 | #2

Could not get the darelec3 image to boot on RPi. Couldn’t find the /dev/location , (sorry didn’t record actual location it was looking for) but showed a very nice boot screen before halting automatically.

3. Shnider
    November 6th, 2012 at 13:57 | #3

This has improved so much since version 1.
    But i wanted to add Transmission to the Rpi media box, but it does not show on
    System->Add-ons->Get add-ons->OpenELEC.tv Medicenter OS Add-ons->Service->transmission

Didn’t try install it by terminal tho

4. aleksdeg
    November 13th, 2012 at 09:41 | #4

This is really great. I can stream BBC, C4 and C5. I struggled with Version 2 a bit!
    I’ve run a completely vanilla install via Windows and have two quick (I hope) questions
    1) I seem to have lost ITV player. How do I install it?
    2) I get messages about “You have not located your rtmpdump executable” when I try to download rather than stream Demand 5 and 4OD pprogrammes.

Can anyone help

Thanks

5. max
    November 19th, 2012 at 00:05 | #5

hello, anyone know how to enable the composite video output? I got just a black screen

thanks

6. JIm
    December 1st, 2012 at 22:22 | #6

Hi,
    can anyone point me in the direction of installing this on an SDcard using windows 7, tried looking at the .img file in iso buster and clone drive but they state it is corrupt or empty.
    any help would be much appreciated

7. G
    December 2nd, 2012 at 02:07 | #7

I used this program “Win32DiskImager” to get the image to the sd card.

8. Abe
    December 4th, 2012 at 21:04 | #8

Finally a build that works with my Time Capsule! Xbian, openelec fails…

9. Gog
    December 14th, 2012 at 14:34 | #9

Is there an easy way to update from darkelec 2 to darkelec 3 without loosing the movie database etc.?

10. daily
    December 20th, 2012 at 17:03 | #10

Hi there, justi installed darkelec3 for my ver. B Pi with 512MB RAM. I’m kind of confused because it seems like the 512MB are not detected. In Systeminfo it shows me i have n absolute ram of 118MB. There is no info about the GPU Memory so it’s hard to tell which amount of RAM is really detected. But it feels kind of weird to me using 118MB CPU RAM and 394MB for the GPU. Can you tell me what’s the problem here or how i can change the memory split?

Greetings

11. December 23rd, 2012 at 05:10 | #11

Hi! been using openelec for a fewmonths now but having laggi mkv playback on latest downloads. Will check darkelec out to see how this goes, thanks.

12. Hank
    December 23rd, 2012 at 10:23 | #12

@fher98
    Had the same issues. So I went back to late september builds which work flawless.

Ever build after that date is unusable with big mkv-files.

So I’m going to give the dark side a try cause its raspi optimized.

13. Loz Blake
    January 17th, 2013 at 20:09 | #13

I have this working great on my Pi, 1080p films streaming wonderfully and hdmi-cec picking up my tv remote. Just one minor niggle and that is that I lose hdmi-cec if I switch to a different input and then come back. Apparently the hdmi-cec library has been updated to fix this, any chance of this being included anytime soon? Keep up the good work

14. Masin
    January 20th, 2013 at 20:22 | #14

How can I install it to my RP? any tutorial plz

15. Nicodem
    January 21st, 2013 at 13:02 | #15

I tried new version, installed but got huge problem with playing any file through SMB. I can add resorce with videos from my NAS but when press Play – it just hangs. Does not start playback. Working, working, working and no video.
    So its useless as player for me. Any ideas?
    Standard OpenElec works great.

16. January 22nd, 2013 at 16:45 | #16

thanks. I was none too amused with 93-100 cpu in the BerryBoot version.

Please include the divingmule plugins

especially blaze

17. January 22nd, 2013 at 16:46 | #17

@nico

ditch SMB in favor of NFS :)

18. January 22nd, 2013 at 16:48 | #18

Pickup a bunch of users by providing ready made instructions to add DarkElec to BerryBoot installation menu

19. Masin
    January 27th, 2013 at 19:35 | #19

In Darkelec it use xbmc 12.0 Alpha 7, when will be the new version coming out, RC3 support?

20. paul
    February 1st, 2013 at 21:12 | #20

Hi anyone help me install this to a sd card using windows 7

Thanks Paul

21. JOn
    February 2nd, 2013 at 01:13 | #21

paul :
    Hi anyone help me install this to a sd card using windows 7
    Thanks Paul

Download & use an application called win32diskimager.

22. paul
    February 2nd, 2013 at 17:49 | #22

@JOn
    Hi thanks for the reply used win32 and it works.

Need more help now.

I have a USB HDD connected to a router , this is routed throught the wan port of my modem/router. My computer can see the drive and I have mounted it. But the PI cant read anything from it at all. It is formatted to NTFS because of the file sizes on it. If I conect it directly to the PI it works fine. Any one know how to set this up so I dont have to keep unpluging the drive to lad stuff onto it

cheers Paul.

23. barney484
    March 3rd, 2013 at 20:52 | #23

I’m having real problems configuring my MPG2 and VC1 codec licences under this distribution. I have tried to insert the license numbers in /usr/share/bootloader/config.txt but this part of the file system seems to be mounted read only. I have tried remounting the root and flash file systems as rw but despite doing this I cannot edit or chmod the file because because it still seems to be on a read only file system. I know that Darkelec is an optimized version of the standard openelec xbmc. Is there something in the optimization that is preventing me editing the file? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

24. Alfons Affe
    April 5th, 2013 at 17:07 | #24

Will there be an update to the recent 3.0.0 version or is this stuff dead?

25. May 8th, 2013 at 08:11 | #25

V1 solved the high CPU on Raspberry Pi

every version thereafter cranked it back up roughly near OpenElec

Is there a v4 brewing? One that favors Raspberry Pi fans ($35 media center)

26. upr2000
    June 3rd, 2013 at 15:07 | #26

I have also the “won’t boot” issue on my 2nd Raspberry Pi.
    The first is from RS Components,
    The second from Elements 4U
    It has an hynix CPU / Ram Chip.

Maybe the dark Elec is only for the RS Version Suitable?

27. TPY
    August 2nd, 2013 at 20:27 | #27

I copied the img tothe SD card (v3). But the Pi refuses to boot
    Does anyone have a solution

28. thppp
    October 7th, 2013 at 17:02 | #28

@TPY

You aren’t supposed to copy the file to the SD.
    Try using a program like win32 disk imager. (if you have Windows)

29. November 13th, 2013 at 19:07 | #29

Hi,

It’s possible to adapt the xbmc install on arch ?
    Please look at my post on arch forum : http://forums.archlinux.fr/topic14064-40.html
    I’ve project who boot on xbmc with arch linux

Comments are closed.